The British Empire resulted in a lot of good and bad things, but one of the good things was the impact on colonial-inspired house and interior design.
Think Asian and African influences, balmy nights, mosquito netting, overhead fans, large verandahs, tents, animals prints, palm trees, bamboo and wicker, croquet on the lawn, and the reds of the British Raj uniforms and the sand of the desert…
Here are some photos of British colonial style exteriors, rooms and individual pieces of furniture, to assist those of you looking to incorporate some British Empire style into your design efforts.
More luscious travel photo galleries here:
- Luscious takes a trip!
- All aboard: A look at train travel
- Railways: At the crossroads
- The Orient Express
- Heat and Dust, White Mischief and The Far Pavilions
- Globetrolling: Decorating with maps
- Flying the flag
- Row, row, row your boat…
- Going postal (in a good way): Stamps
- A country life
- Islamic/Moorish inspiration
- Lomography “Diana” vintage camera
You might also be interested in these posts relating to British and American history during part of the British Empire:
And see also: