*UPDATED WITH OFFICIAL PHOTOS*
Here’s a look at baby George of Cambridge with his proud parents the Duke and Duchess at his christening…
- George wore a replica of the traditional satin and Honiton lace christening gown made in 1841 for Queen Victoria’s oldest daughter, also named Victoria
- Kate wore an asymmetrical ivory cream coat dress by Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen, hate by milliner Jane Taylor, and citrine drop Kiki earrings
- Pippa wore a cream wool Suzannah Crabb trapeze coat with pink blush trim and oyster silk lining over a blush lace.
- It was a small private event, held at the Chapel Royal in St James’s Palace, the venue for the wedding of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert in 1840
- Only the parents, grandparents, siblings, nanny and godparents and their partners attended
- There were two hymns for the christening: ‘Breathe on Me, Breath of God’ and ‘Be Thou My Vision’
- There were two bible readings, read by Pippa Middleton and Prince Harry read from St Luke and St John, respectfully
- And, to round this off, there were two anthems: ‘Blessed Jesu! Here we Stand’ (written for William’s baptism in 1982) and ‘The Lord Bless You and Keep You’
- Organ music included Bach’s Fantasia in G, and Widor’s Toccata from Symphony No. 5
- After the service, grandparents Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall hosted a private tea in Clarence House, with the christening cake being a tier taken from William and Kate’s wedding cake.
See related royal posts here:
The seven godparents:
Emilia Jardine-Paterson, nee d’Erlanger , 31, is a school friend of Kate’s from Marlborough College, and an interior designer (apparently she has been involved in the renovation of their new Kensington Palace apartments), seen with her husband David, below.
Julia Samuel, 54, a close friend of Princess Diana and founder of a child bereavement charity of which William is patron, seen with her husband and 22-year-old Hugh Grosvenor, below.
Hugh Grosvenor, 22, officially Earl Grosvenor, is the son of the Duke and Duchess of Westminster and is one of Britain’s richest people with a property fortune of £7.35 billion. His mother, the Duchess of Westminster, is Prince William’s godmother.
Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton, 53, is a former private secretary to William and one of his mentors. He is seen here with his wife.
Oliver Baker, 31, a St Andrews university pal of the Kate and William, who lived with them in their last year of study.
William van Cutsem, 33, is a childhood friend of William. His brother, Edward van Cutsem, is married to Lady Tamara Grosvenor, the sister of Hugh Grosvenor (see above). He is seen below with his wife Rosie Ruck-Keene.
He is the son of the late Hugh van Cutsem, one of Prince Charles’ best friends. The van Cutsem family once lived at Anmer Hall, which is now being renovated by Kate and William as their country home.
Zara Phillips Tindall, 32, is William’s royal cousin as the daughter of Princess Anne. An equestrian Olympic medallist, she is currently expecting her first child. She is seen here with her rugby playing husband, Mike Tindall.
You might also like: