Designers Miuccia Prada and Catherine Martin collaborated on the costumes for Baz Luhrmann’s lavish new film The Great Gatsby. The pair created over 40 designs for the film, all inspired by looks from the Prada and Miu Miu archives….
Baz Luhrmann and Miuccia Prada share a passion for bringing classic designs into the present, Martin told Vogue UK.
“In the same way Nick Carraway reflects on a world that he is within and without, we have tried to create an environment that the audience will be subconsciously familiar with, yet separated from.” Martin said.
Miuccia Prada for The Great Gatsby
“I usually try not to literally reference periods in my work, because that’s not the way I think,” Prada told Vogue. “But when I worked on the costumes, I realised how many pieces would become very Twenties with a little intervention and another point of view.”
View Prada’s released sketches below.
Learn more about Prada on the official Prada website.
More from Miuccia Prada:
- Miu Miu Resort 2013 campaign
- Miu Miu Shoe Collection Spring Summer 2013
- Inside the Prada book
- Prada Fall 2011 at Milan Fashion Week
You might also like:
Get inspired by the 1920s:
- Facebook: Flapper frockage: inspired by the 1920s
- Facebook: Films and TV shows set in the 1910s, 20s and 30s
- Facebook: Marlene Dietrich
Buy fashion inspired by the 1920s and The Great Gatsby here:
- SHOPPING: Inspired by The Great Gatsby
- SHOPPING: Where to buy fashion inspired by the 1920s – part 1
- SHOPPING: Fashion inspired by the 1920s – part 2
- SHOPPING: Funtasma by Pleaser Women’s Contessa 1920s-style shoes
- Historical style: Runway fashion influenced by the 1900s-1930s
- LUST-HAVE: Elie Saab vintage-inspired clutch bags
- WISHLIST: Glamorous clutch bags