UPDATED: A private funeral mass for Oscar de la Renta will be held on November 3, 2014 at 11am, at the Church of St Ignatius Loyola at Park Avenue and 84th Street in Manhattan.
Like many who adore fashion, I was saddened to hear of the passing of Oscar de la Renta yesterday, aged 82.
Oscar was one of my favourite designers for fashion and homewares, and he also lead a very luscious life.
I spent weeks researching his biography as well as his multiple homes, which I’ve shared on this blog in the past, and was impressed by all the interesting things I learnt about him, his ability to produce elegant dresses season after season, and his respect from his peers.
I feel like we’ve lost a modern icon, someone with whom I’d put in the same category of Paul Poiret, Jeanne Lanvin, Coco Chanel, Christian Dior, and Yves Saint Laurent. He made fashion better.
The official handwritten statement announcing Oscar de la Renta’s death at home in Connecticut
from Alex and Eliza Bolen, the late designer’s son-in-law (and CEO) and stepdaughter, October 2014
Thank you, posthumously, Oscar, for sharing your style with us, and leaving this legacy.
I feel as though a bright, brilliant light has dimmed, and been replaced with a gentle lantern sitting at the end of a dock, shining its guiding light out over a vast expanse of water.
My thoughts are with his family, friends, colleagues and devoted fans.
See more from Oscar de la Renta here:
- Oscar de la Renta retrospective: The man and his brand
- Oscar de la Renta Fall Winter 2011-2012 collection
- Oscar de la Renta Fall Winter 2011-2012 shoe collection
- Oscar de la Renta Fall 2012 RTW collection
- Oscar de la Renta Spring 2013 RTW Collection
- Oscar de la Renta Fall 2013 RTW collection
- Oscar de la Renta Spring 2014 RTW Collection
- Oscar De La Renta Fall 2014 RTW Collection
- Oscar de la Renta Resort 2014 collection
- WISHLIST: Oscar de la Renta
- Oscar and Annette de la Renta at home in Manhattan
- Oscar and Annette de la Renta at home in Connecticut
- Oscar and Annette de la Renta at home in the Dominican Republic
- Oscar de la Renta’s Tortuga Bay Hotel in the Dominican Republic
- BOOK TO BUY: The Style, Inspiration, and Life of Oscar de la Renta by Assouline