The 1920s are back in a big way thanks to the new production of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby, this time directed by Baz Luhrmann (Romeo + Juliet, Moulin Rouge) with design by his wife, Catherine Martin.
Here are some stunning images to help you plan a 1920s-themed wedding…
Do your research: Inspiration for a 1920s wedding
- Read the book, The Great Gatsby – see our post with review and to buy the book
- Check out how 1920s style has influenced the runway
- Watch The Great Gatsby, Downton Abbey and other movies and TV shows from the 1920s listed in this post
- Read about Art Deco style via Wikipedia
- See this list of books relating to the Roaring Twenties
- Learn about architecture and design which was prevalent during the 1920s – see our Beaux Arts and Art Deco post
- Embrace Art Deco poster illustration – it might help you with design elements eg. wedding invitations
- Make a cup of tea and work your way through our extensive summary of posts relating to The Great Gatsby and the 1920s
Elements of a 1920s wedding dress
Remember that 1920s encompasses a decade which is a long time in fashion, so there is not just one definitive look.
At the beginning of the 20s, women were moving from their confined Edwardian corsets to rejecting them completely with their “dropped waist” dresses. But by the end of the 20s, the waist became popular again as women enjoyed their curves.
In general, you should consider these ideas for your wedding frockage:
- White, flowing lace dress with beading – think long and languid, not puffy
- Textures such as faux fur, sequins, crystals and feathers
- Sparkly headpiece, often with a lace veil
- Bling through earrings, necklaces, bracelets, brooches and cocktail rings
- Demure with hints of sensuality, not in-your-face overt sexuality
- Embrace some elements not all, otherwise you will look like a Halloween costume.
Bridesmaids and female guests should embrace deep jewel-toned silk dress such as emerald, sapphire, and garnet, cut on the bias. Men should take a look at these looks in our Brooks-Brothers-collaboration-with-The-Great-Gatsby post.
For wedding jewellery, see our Bling fling: Tiffany’s 1920s Gatsby-inspired collection of luscious jewelry post.
See lots more in PART 2 of our 1920s-inspired wedding style:
Lots more Gatsby and wedding-related lusciousness in these posts:
Do some Deco-inspired wedding shopping with these links:
Catch up on all our Gatsby and 1920s posts via this summary, which includes these luscious pictures from The Great Gatsby, and be sure to follow Luscious on Facebook, Pinterest, Google+ and Twitter too.